Altuzarra is a luxury women’s ready-to-wear brand launched in New York by Joseph Altuzarra in 2008. Altuzarra was born out of the desire to make the sophisticated modern woman feel seductive, strong and confident.
Since its inception, Altuzarra has been consistent in establishing and refining its hallmark style – both subversive in nature and fiercely feminine, it merges authentic French sophistication with American pragmatism and ease.
- Born in Paris to a Chinese-American mother and French father. His multicultural upbringing and keen interest in French culture including art, ballet and film are key influences throughout his collections.
- Graduates from Swarthmore College with a B.A. in Art and Art History. Moves to New York, interns at Marc Jacobs.
- Works as freelance designer at Proenza Schouler. Apprentices with patternmaker Nicolas Caïto, former head of Rochas atelier.
- Returns to Paris, as first assistant to Givenchy’s Riccardo Tisci.
- Launches Altuzarra, with a debut collection of 15 pieces.
- Debuts first runway show for Spring 2010 RTW collection, lauded by Vogue as a “great, confident performance.”
- Wins both the Ecco Domani award and Fashion Group International’s Rising Star of the Year.
- Wins CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund prize.
- Wins Swarovski Award for Womenswear Design. Appears on Forbes’s 30 Under 30.
- Altuzarra wins the inaugural CFDA branding initiative. Appears on Crain's 40 Under 40. Appears on WWD’s Ten of Tomorrow. Designs costumes for New York City Ballet’s Pas de Deux A Place for Us. Wins 2013 USA Woolmark Prize.